Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Finally found the catbird

I had given up on locating the Gray Catbird after spending most of the morning looking in the oasis, but the little bugger was in the courtyard. There's a native fruiting mulberry there that he was attracted to. Because of the courtyard wall between the bird and the sun, I knew I'd never have good photographic conditions, but did the best I could.


We played hide-and-seek for quite a while before he finally got hungry enough to forage on the ground under the mulberry tree.


Earlier, at the oasis, I was suprised to find a male Ruby-throated Hummingbird defending a feeder. I thought it was way too late in the spring for hummers, other than the nesting species (LUHU & BCHU). There were shrubs in the way but I wanted to document him for now at least, and later try for an unimpeded shot.
   
                

No comments:

Post a Comment