Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Went to Marathon for a fix

On my way to Marathon today I stopped at Alco and got some snacks. In line in front of me a young man was buying video games. The clerk, rather impertinently, I thought, but jovial, nonetheless, asked him if he was addicted to video games. He denied it, with perhaps a flair of overkill. Then, when my turn came and she commented on my hummingbird T-shirt, I was mentally scrambling for what I could reply if she asked if I was addicted to hummingbirds. But she didn't ask.

That got me to thinking. No way could she tell by my purchase of snacks, that I was the addict, pursuing my addiction, photographing butterflies and odonates, at present.

I did photograph one bird today. Just a Lark Sparrow, now my second fall/winter sparrow. (I posted the first yesterday.) Normally, I avoid photographing common species on man-made perches, but this bird posed so up-in-my-face, how could I resist?


I had forgotten it was Sunday until I approached Marathon, so felt it was too late to turn back. But it didn't take long for me to weary of all the people, kids, and dogs wherever I went, and head back to Alpine. It's good to see that people do enjoy nature and the outdoors, though. Too bad more effort isn't expended into creating more and better places. Did you ever wonder what the country would look like if all our youth was out watering, pruning and planting in vast tracts during the same amount of time they spend on sports? Not to mention video games?

When I saw this bright orange damselfly, I immediately thought Orange Bluet. But at home, looking in the book, I pretty much concluded it was just a Rambur's Forktail, which Kelly confirmed.


So, while I saw lots of damselflies, I don't think any were new ones. I even accidentally photographed another Variable Dancer. My problem is, until I examine my photos and see the differences, for the most part, they all look alike. And even after I scrutinize them, I more often than not, can't identify them. Odes are difficult!

And I don't do much better with butterflies. I saw this species everywhere, and finally decided to snap a photo just to refresh my memory on what it was. Well, turns out it's a Pearl Crescent, and while that's not a new species for me, I would have really liked a better photo of the species. And I missed the perfect opportunity.


The most exciting thing today was as a result of yesterday's post of a mystery bug. Some follower identified it as a Mountain Dwelling Short-winged Katydid. I not only didn't know it was a katydid, but it seems that particular species of katydid has a very limited range in the United States, just basically, West Texas. A really cool bug!

No comments:

Post a Comment