Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, December 1, 2014

Christmas Mountains updated

The Christmas Mountains is a mountain range that includes a mountain called Christmas Mountain. It's located way to the south of CMO and not visible from CMO.*  Today we banded hummingbirds at a location near Study Butte where Christmas Mountain can be seen to the north (in the direction of CMO).


































If you're not confused yet, there are two mountains called Christmas Mountain. One is referred to as Christmas Mountain and the other as Little Christmas Mountain. I was told the photo that I took from near Study Butte today is of Christmas Mountain. I thought it was lovely how the clouds clung to the mountain.


UPDATE: When I posted this last night I was confused because I couldn't find Christmas Mountain on my maps or online maps. However, the locals all know, and are adamant, that Little Christmas Mountain (LCM) is just inside the BBNP boundary (this is on the maps). And, directly north of LCM is big Christmas Mountain, not on maps that I can find. The closest I can find on maps is a designation Christmas Mountains HP, which peak, I believe, is on the big Christmas Mountain.

Also, per comment request, CMO is located in the vicinity of the "Mts" on the above map's "Christmas Mts." label.

________________________________________

*The peaks that are visible from CMO are: to the north, Nine Point Mesa, to the east, West Corazon, to the south, Williams Mountain, and to the west Adobe Walls.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely photo. Can you put a pin in your county map to show us where the oasis is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I updated the post. CMO is where the "Mts." designation is on the "Christmas Mts." label.

      Delete