Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Solstice day

The days will start getting longer now. Wish I was at the Winter Solstice of my life and my remaining days would start increasing now.*  Here are the Christmas Mountains as I was driving down from Alpine this morning. I never get tired of looking at them, or apparently, of photographing them.


But to me, they never look the same twice. Next is the big tank right almost exactly at the moment of the solstice, ie. 5 PM.


The good news is that the stucco tank only went down 2" in the last five days. Allowing an inch for evaporation, that's darn good. The bad news is that something has been eating on my cholla patch for the last month or so. I swear it's challenging to raise stuff here. I just have to hope that whatever rodent that's doing that won't eat the trunks, or eat high up on the stems, and maybe the cholla will survive. Pretty bad if you can't even raise native cacti here. Whole branches just get chewed off without leaving a trace.


I found a home for that hollow log. Looks better than I thought it would. Gonna plant a vine in it come spring. That pole is one that supports the hummingbird feeders.

______________

*Yikes, that means I'd live to 148 years old. A bit too long unless I get younger too.

3 comments:

  1. I love the look of that big log. It will be so pretty with a vine coming out. Well done.
    Carla in Rowlett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It looks even better than on this photo. I'll keep my blog updated on it, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, from my perspective you look great and your spirit gets younger by the day. Hope to see you in 2015 and do some birding with you. Dennis

    ReplyDelete