Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, October 16, 2017

You know the ugly!

The good news is that the mulberry tree continues to progress even though I removed quite a few more of those nasty worms today.


The bad news is that when I arrived at the oasis after spending a few days in town there wasn't a leaf left on my precious Gray Oak tree. I picked the blasted worms off even though it was too late. Nothing left for them to ruin.

It's been a weird year. I didn't get my monsoons until August (two, one week apart), so the soapberry trees didn't make berries, I had hardly any mosquitoes this year and a puny showing of dragonflies. Butterflies did good though. The native flowers got enough scattered showers for them to bloom on schedule. Even had a bumper crop of verbena (glandularia wrightii), which attracted some nice butterfly lifers for me. Next year I plan to make a verbena patch by digging up any I find and transplanting them to a viewing area where I can water and watch them . 

One odonate species that I've seen more of this year than any previous year is Smoky Rubyspot, a lovely little damselfly.



No comments:

Post a Comment