Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, October 30, 2015

Farewell to Lucifer Hummingbirds

It's time for Lucifer Hummingbirds to depart, so I'm trying to enjoy them as much as possible in their last days for this year.



The above adult male may look faded but I assure you he's feistier than ever. They harass one another all day long. Wears me out just watching them. I think these next two pics are of the same juvenile male. I can't explain why his throat is orange. Maybe a Halloween costume.


This next one may be the same individual as the first one, or possibly a different adult male. Not sure.


Goodbye, Lucifers. Have a good winter. I miss you already, but March will be here soon.

The Big Bend Silverleaf is still blooming. Haven't seen any checkerspot butterflies on them yet, but I'll look again tomorrow.

Silverleaf with Gray Hairstreak



I thought the above insect might be one of those wasps I saw burrowing in the ground, but Kelly says it's some kind of fly. I like it being a fly better than a wasp.

2 comments: