Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, January 5, 2017

New passion for passion vines

Hoping to attract some butterfly species that host on passion vines, I ordered some seeds online. As so often is the case with me, I can't find the species I want so settle for the next best thing. In this case, I wanted Birdwing Passionflower (passiflora tenuiloba), since it's the most native to Big Bend, but settled for Purple Passionflower (p.incarnata), the next closest thing... I think. I'm no expert. So I sprouted the seeds in my sprouter, then planted them today.


As luck would have it, I finally found some p. tenuiloba seeds online, so ordered a few. Lots of butterflies host on passion vines but I especially hope to attract things like Mexican Silverspot. Last March a resident of the nearby Terlingua Ranch photographed one at his place. 

Mexican Silverspot by Jim Hines
 It would be a lifer for me. Besides, it's fun to grow different things, and I love vines anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment