Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, August 27, 2026

One miserable day!


I arrived at the oasis at daylight yesterday to service hummingbird feeders and water trees. But foremost on my mind was checking my trail cam for a rare bird I had seen last time I was there, but not gotten a photo of. I was devastated to discover that in my haste to set up the camera, I hadn't put in an SD card. It would've been a new oasis species, Bay-breasted Warbler. 


The mosquitoes were unrelenting all day, no matter how much DEET I slathered on. On top of that, my allergies were terrible. Sneezed and nose ran all day long. On that subject, I discovered a new plant growing there, but even it was a weed.


Hophornbeam Copperleaf (Acalypha ostryifolia)

Normally, I would have taken allergy medication, but I had it in my head that it tends to make my eyes drier, They're very dry due to too much Lasik surgery in the past. I have symptoms of what AI says is corneal erosion. Trying to treat myself, but I broke down and took Claritin this morning. My eyes are doing better with preservative-free eye drops. Can't believe no eye doctor ever told me to use them. All these years of suffering......


On the bright side, there were lots of birds, although I was hurrying to finish and get back to town, so didn't get to inventory them very much. And the heat didn't bother me at all.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

❤️❤️❤️

Michelle Summers said...

I feel your frustration, with forgetting the memory card AND with eye doctors. I have had doctors tell me to use allergy eye drops, that never did anything to relieve my gritty eyes, but never dry eye drops, until I figured out that was my problem and asked the doctor about it. Ugh!! I'm so sorry you didn't get the picture you wanted, and I hope the bird hangs around long enough for you to get a shot!!

Carolyn Ohl-Johnson said...

Eye drops with preservatives in make your eyes worse. Mine were so itchy for years, and since I use preservative-free drops, they barely itch at all. Be sure to use preservative-free! You'll be amazed at the difference in a very short period of time.

Anonymous said...

Carolyn: See if anyone in Alpine has a garden or koi pond with mosquito fish (Gambusia) that they can donate some to you. Take to the Oasis in an aerated bucket and set free onto your ponds. In no time at all the mosquito problem should become significantly less.