Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, July 25, 2011

Upgraded from despair to hopeful

I left my camera cord in Alpine so can't download the photos I meant to post today. Earlier this afternoon, after we finished with our hummingbird banding at other locations, I was anxious to haul some water to my trees. And once again, the truck wouldn't start. I was seriously thinking I needed to just give up and throw in the towel. But to make a long story short, I figured the problem must be with the battery, and after trying various things, I managed to get the battery posts cleaned and it started right up. To a man this probably means very little, but to me it was huge. (I'm not mechanically inclined.)

Then, on the way back from Terlingua Lodge with my precious water, I watched it pouring in the distance and it appeared that it was headed toward my place. In fact, immediately upon arriving at the oasis, I actually did get the edge of a nice little shower. Only about one-tenth of an inch but it lifted my spirits to see the ground wet, even though the tanks are still empty. Things felt almost normal, as in WINNING!. Maybe the dry spell is broken now.


2 comments:

  1. I always think of August as bringing some rain out there. I hope I've been thinking right and this August will be just what you need.
    Even in central Texas I have had to start keeping little dishes of water for the bees, not to mention the excellent attendance at the birdbath. Hummingbird feeder work is about to get to me though. There is nothing blooming here. At all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure looked like it rained up there today.

    ReplyDelete