Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Alpine habitat

I got out and did some much overdue work here. Still much more to do, but I can just do what I can.



Above is the Mexican Elder tree before I worked on it. Below is after.


Here is a Desert Pine (elderica) after I cleaned out around it and put it in a bigger deer cage. They come up by themselves around our yard and I put some of them into pots while they're still just tiny sprouts, then plant them in the habitat once they develop a substantial root system.


Last, is a White Mulberry I bought online, cheap, this spring. I wanted a white one because I think they grow larger than the black or red ones. Birds like tall trees.


The soil here is pure clay. It takes forever for water to soak into the ground, and it's a killer digging in it. I did four trees today and still have about 20 to go. Here's the after shot.


The extreme cold and heat of this year was hardest on young trees, but I think this one will thrive next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment