Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, October 2, 2016

Back home with lots of lifers

I still don't have all my photos ID'd so not sure how many lifers I got this weekend, but I'm a happy camper. Especially fun was finding my lifer Blue-faced Ringtail by myself.


Although without a team effort I would never have found it. I wouldn't even have any clue where and how to look for one. We all started searching the likely areas for it and after a couple of hours Desha thought she saw a threadtail I needed. She called me over and while looking for the potential threadtail (never was relocated) I saw the above ringtail and said, "What's that?" Another oder was nearby. He was already familiar with the species. It was only a lifer for me. Immediately after saying that, I added, "Oh, I think it's just a Western Pondhawk." It hadn't yet landed, and female W Pondhawks have green thoraxes and black and white striped abdomens. About the time it landed, I got a better look and said, "No, it's different and smaller than a W Pondhawk." About then, Troy Zurovec spotted it and said, "It might be a female of the one we're looking for [Blue-faced Ringtail]." About a split second before he said that, the thought crossed my mind. Yup. I settled for a female and left for home shortly thereafter. I could joyously have stay all day, but didn't want to get home late at night.

I'm really tired so will post more lifers tomorrow. Just want to thank everyone who tirelessly helped me search for lifers, especially Tripp Davenport. I had spent two days packing for the trip, determined I'd have everything along I could possibly want. It turned out that I didn't use a few things I had packed, but didn't forget anything either. If I had it to do over again I'd have packed another pair of jeans and socks. A lot of time was spent wading and I would have liked to drive home today in dry pants, but no biggee. I'm pretty sure there were no chiggers there. I was well-protected, but no one else was, and they didn't get any. 

Desha found me my lifer Long-tailed Skipper. Between butterflies and odonates, I know I got at least a dozen lifers.



No comments:

Post a Comment