Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Caught in the act!


In my previous post, I explained that I had spent the night at the oasis on the 10th, and found fresh bear scat early the morning of the 11th. Well, today (the 16th) I eagerly went to check my trail cam to see what birds I had missed in the 5 days since I'd been there, only to find the cam had been torn down. Didn't take much detective work to find out who the cuprit was. Since it happened on the 12th, after I had gone back to town, there were very few video clips of birds on the camera. No new scat, so I'm hoping the bear moved on and it won't happen again.




I could never understand why bears don't pull down the hummingbird feeders. All I can think of is they know it'll spill sugar water all over them, which will attract bees and ants to them. Bears are smart. Years ago, when I first started putting up feeders, they pulled them down.


A recent visitor to the oasis, Jeremy Kuhn, took this nice photo yesterday. In spite of how it looks, the trees need watering. I just didn't have it in me to do it today. First time ever that I was down there when things needed watering and I left without watering. I guess I always knew that day would come. Hoping for rain!




2 comments:

Angie said...

Love the pictures! I wonder why the bear felt he had to tear the cameras down? :)

Carolyn Ohl-Johnson said...

Perhaps he bumped it and I hadn't secured it tightly enough. Got it really strapped down now. The camera couldn't be removed from the pole, but it got muddy. If it happens again, I'll make a more secure platform to set the camera on.