Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Life is good

We were in the middle of cleaning a rent house in Alpine and I wanted to get it done, then have time to go enjoy my oasis. But I hadn't hauled water over the holiday, and felt I really needed to get down there and do that. First time I remember ever being reluctant to go to CMO.

On the way down I thought something great would probably be there, in that case. After arriving I began a quick assessment of what birds were there. It was 22,° colder than everywhere else in the area, as usual. As I was counting Sage Thrashers (2 or 3), and Anna's Hummingbirds (5 or 6) I couldn't believe my eyes when I got a quick glimpse of a gorgeous Violet-crowned Hummingbird. Naturally, my water project was put on hold as I ran for my camera. A new yard bird for CMO!


It'll probably be long after dark before I get back to Alpine tonight.

UPDATE: I decided to check a bird guide and apparently the female and male VCHUs look alike, so I don't know which this is, unless it sticks around and gets banded by Kelly Bryan.


7 comments:

  1. Excellent Carolyn! So happy for you and the property. Well deserving!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With a bug in it's beak? Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, still enjoying your blog!! Pat/Central Texas

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW... good for you!... Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all. I took lots of photos and most of them have a speck of something somewhere on the beak. I'm thinking it's those pesky little black flies that I've been plagued with all summer and fall. Hopefully, the hummers love them and will gorge themselves on them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't realize the hummers stay during that extreme cold weather! Do they stay all winter? That is a beautiful bird! That oasis is a joy even for those of us that only know it through your photos and stories! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anna's usually stay until early Jan., and then they go west to start breeding. The only hummer I've had stay until the spring nesters arrive are the Rufous. I'm excited to see if this Violet-crowned will hang around awhile.

    ReplyDelete