Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, December 3, 2011

A virtual visit to CMO

Some of you are on your way here to see the Violet-crowned Hummingbird as I write this. Others want to come but can't, so here's the next best thing. I spend a lot of time on the road between here and Alpine at sunrise or sunset. Here's the gorgeous sunrise as I was coming down this morning, taken toward the vicinity of Santiago Mountain..


After I turned off onto the blacktop Terlingua Ranch Road, here was my view of the Christmas Mountains. That flat mountain to the right of the highest peak, which is W Corazone Mountain, overlooks the oasis.


Now I'm coming over a big hill on my land and can see the oasis ahead. Williams Mountain is in the background. My mountain is to the left, creating the shadow I'm driving through.


And shortly after 8 AM I'm photographing the Violet-crowned Hummingbird as it forages for insects. Not to worry, there are plenty... just not when you're looking for them.





4 comments:

  1. Carolyn, excellent photos of the bird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thrill. I am sure you are so excited. I wish I had the time to drop everything and make a run out your way.

    Bob Hamill
    Round Rock

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's extremely exciting. You're always welcome to come when you can, great birds or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waaaahhhhh.........
    Extremely exciting !
    Thanks for the nice posting.

    ReplyDelete