Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, March 13, 2015

A little satisfaction

I finally had the satisfaction of getting a fairly decent photo of a Henry's Elfin on its host Mexican Redbud tree. I got one last year but it was such an ugly worn individual that I wasn't satisfied with it. This one isn't as fresh as the one was in Feb (see post of Feb 20), but that one wasn't on the redbud tree. The spots on the forewings look different to me so I think it's a different individual. I'll have to see what Brian says. Unlikely the Feb one would still be alive anyway, I suppose. We had that horrible ice storm between then and now.


































That redbud tree is starting to get some serious blooms on it. Finding the only elfin in that tree isn't easy. I just have to stand (or sit) there until it moves. Then I can lock my eyes onto it.


Not much else of interest. It was pretty breezy, but since it's March, I figure tomorrow could be worse so I did what I could today in the way of watering, etc. On the left of this next photo is the apricot tree. In the center is the peach tree. I'll do my best to protect the fruit if we get another freeze this spring.


UPDATE: Brian said it's almost certainly a different individual from last month's elfin.

Here's that Mexican Elder in the courtyard that I posted a picture of on Feb 27th when it was freezing and icy. Compare this photo with the one on that day's post. It's recovering nicely. The sotol windbreak should come in handy this month.


No comments:

Post a Comment