Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

First freeze imminent

I took a couple other photos yesterday that I didn't get posted. One is of this Cardinal at CMO.  There's been a pair of them hanging around. I'm thinking they may try nesting there again next spring. They tried in 2011 but didn't fledge anything that I know about. That was a horrible year. Maybe next year will be better.


There are tons of yellow flowers blooming. I recognize these as Desert Marigold. I think the others might be broomweed but I didn't get photos.


Had to pick the tomatoes because it's sure to freeze tonight. Kept in a cold dark place we should have tomatoes to enjoy for at least another month, maybe longer. Here is preparation to doing the dastardly deed. The only thing I hate worse than picking them is losing them to frost.



Above is afterward. Notice that huge bell pepper. It's the biggest I've ever seen.


Moved the tomatoes into a guest room. I keep the door shut and the window covered so they'll be in a cool dark place. Tomorrow I'll dice and freeze the peppers. Too tired to do it today. Beside these tomatoes and peppers we've given truckloads away. Quite a few people have no more room in their freezers for more. It's been a most bountiful year. All that dried fruit too. And pecans are dropping all over the place. We'll have to give a bunch of these tomatoes away because they'll ripen faster than we can eat them.



Here's an interesting pair of mating insects. I've no idea what they are.


UPDATE: Kelly says they're Crane Flies, aka "Daddy-long-legs." Pretty cool. Thanks, Kelly.


No comments:

Post a Comment