Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Bearification continuation


It has been a weird crazy day. If someone would have told me I'd be watering trees this afternoon while a bear was roaming all over the place, I wouldn't have believed them. But after he left this morning I flailed as many of the acorns from the Live Oak trees as I was able. He (confirmed male, big male) returned around 5 PM, got a drink of water, then started foraging on the acorns on the ground. Since I only got about a third of them, or less, it remains to be seen whether he'll climb the trees.


I was beary nervous and truly saw a bear behind every tree, whether he was there or not. These photos make him look little, even cuddly, but he was huge.


As with any natural disaster, damage reports began trickling in. I found a thistle feeder ripped down that I had forgotten to remove. And a hummingbird feeder pulled down.


The feeder was all muddy with dirt and saliva. When I was washing it I noticed this tooth mark in it.


Here's how it would normally look.


I dread what I'll find when I get down there in the morning. Here's the Chinkapin Oak after I finally was able to clean it up. That's a huge Live Oak in the background. It didn't make acorns this year, thankfully.

UPDATE: Just at dusk I went down to the oasis to see the situation. Two feeders that I had hung 7 and 8 foot above the ground were pulled down and apart. I can glue them back together, but this means I have no feeder out of his reach. Hmmm.



4 comments:

  1. Sadly, I think that the bear will be a problem as long as it know food is present at CMO. Maybe TX Parks and Wildlife can help by removing the bear. Good luck and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he hangs around after the acorns are gone, I contact them.

      Delete
  2. Very frightening to read. That goodness your ok. We saw a bear in the park about 3 miles west of panther junction the day after we were at your place .Marlin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forward this post to my son and he suggested bear gel. I wanted you to know. Link below.


    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BMOJXE/ref=asc_df_B002BMOJXE5228189/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B002BMOJXE&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216518324822&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9083872875691905055&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9059622&hvtargid=pla-349078329096

    ReplyDelete