Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Got some much needed help

It seems whenever I'm ready to quit, the universe provides a boost. Mike and Kitta Dory heard my pain, and Mike drove from San Angelo yesterday, arriving at noon, and went right to work. First task was to weed-eat so we (and future visitors) could maneuver around.



Then, he spread the dozen or so bags of mulch I had piled up, waiting and hoping for help. And did pruning. We loaded sand from the arroyo for using in our concrete project this morning. It was killer work to pour a long concrete patch on the steepest part of the big hill. Monsoonal rains have been undermining the slab I had poured there several years ago and I didn't want to chance losing it. The road is still terribly rough, but hopefully not as scary going up the slab since you don't have to straddle a big trench now. So disgusted with myself that I didn't take before and during photos. I just get too overwhelmed with the task at hand. It's so steep; I'm so puny; I must not take a fall. That takes all my focus. Falls are the biggest danger for us oldsters. 



After we finished that, around noon today, intrepid Mike pruned along the road where vegetation was determined to take over. Everything is looking awesome! Hope it stays that way at least through fall migration so people can enjoy it. And I hope migration brings lots of wonderful birds to marvel at. We can't change the past, nor control the future, but for today, it's good!




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

❤️

CAROL FERN CULHANE said...

Joining the chorus of Appreciation!!! Way to go, Mike!

Anonymous said...

Mile is a MONSTER! YOU DA BEAST!

Skip said...

A huge thank you to Mike and Dora, what a fantastic thoughtful helping hand!!!! CUdos

Mark Korducki said...

Thanks for jumping in Mike! And to Carolyn for the many hours you have invested in this great place.

Anonymous said...

Ive been to your place 2x over the past 10 years. It is a wonderful place to view birds. I'm always amazed at how you keep going to maintain this site. Thank you for all your effort.

Carolyn Ohl-Johnson said...

As I always say, it's been a labor of love.