I received several rather lewd emails from a stranger, mentioning among other things, my being alone at the oasis. The world isn't the safe place I've known all my life. I considered making my blog private, but, even with the help of AI, I couldn't make it to where my mailing list could see it, other than the limit of 100 recipients, so I've done nothing for now.
Here is the patch of cement Mike Dory and I did last week, on the side of the slab at the steepest part. . We patched where water was undermining the slab.
You can see that bad rough area on the lower part of the hill. I'm thinking perhaps a sledgehammer would pulverize that jagged mudrock, maybe with the aid of a burner torch. I can no longer swing a sledgehammer. Gotta protect what little joints I have left.
There's enough traction to make it up without a problem, but it's terribly rough.
The oasis is very lush these days.

6 comments:
Save sledgehammer work for me; I’m sickened that you have to deal with unwanted or otherwise bad communications. Take care
I was a cybersecurity professional for many years, though I still teach in my retirement at the local university. There will always be bad people with bad commentary. The real threat is when there is money to be made. More of a threat when you are alone comes from getting injured and unable to reach help. My recommendation is to carry your phone with you and use a smart watch. The watch can detect a fall and automatically call help for you in case you are incapacitated. There are devices that can extent your cell phone range making it possible to establish a connection with a cell tower. Plus, there is also satellite phones that are semi-affortable.
Good luck to you.
Thank you for your informative comment. I have found out who the bad emails came from and I don't think he's a threat. Just weird, for sure. As for falls, that is always on my mind. I realize the danger in it. I do carry my phone with me at all times.
Carolyn, so sorry you received an ugly comment. Some people seem to enjoy tearing others down or making inappropriate comments.
I want to thank you for your years of dedication at the Oasis. Your energy and devotion to creating such a wonderful place for birds and birders to enjoy places you in a special category of people to be appreciated! Thank you!
Dear Carolyn, I applaud your keeping your phone handy and that you are making conscious decisions about what you can and can’t do. You have provided such an educational and supportive environment for us curious humans and for the many forms of wildlife in the area! Thank you. Have you investigated a way to link with a conservation group that would keep the oasis going when you no longer can? I am very impressed with how a couple set up a partnership for their Chimney Swift facility called Chaetura Canyon Bird Sanctuary. The founders continue to live on the property but it is all protected and maintained as a bird sanctuary. I know Central Texas is very different from your “piece of heaven” but maybe there is something to be learned there…I would be happy to talk with you more about it. You can also find information on the Travis Audubon.org webpages. Sincerely, Fern
I have looked into it, but it's not a profitable enterprise and can never be, so it would take someone who is willing to dedicate themselves to it full time without pay, basically. It shouldn't have ever been built in a place without water that's so hard to get to. And the road would require equiipment to maintain and lots of work. It would be much better for someone to buy a place near the highway or blacktop that has a spring or good well and plant a couple trees and put up feeders. I've been promoting that idea for many years but just doesn't happen.
Post a Comment