Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, July 12, 2010

Oasis is lush today

With plenty of rain and cool temperatures things are thriving. The mosquitos had been real bad but they finally lessened enough to where I enjoyed an afternoon manicuring, watering, and pruning some to keep the pathways usable. The tanks are all full and if I don't use the water the next rain will just go down the arroyo. Besides, in the past week I've only had .4" and I like to give them more like the equivalent of one inch per week. The first photo is of a Texas Madrone with a water feature behind taken from the viewing bench. The horsetails have escaped their containers so this winter I should clean out the pond. I'll be surprised if I actually do, though.


The photo below is what I call the wildlife pond. That's where I had the Sora in May.


Next is the hummingbird viewing area.


Next is path leading to the water feature's viewing bench.


And here is an example of a path that is threatening to become overgrown. This image was taken after I trimmed a bunch along it. There's never an end to the work to keep the oasis a managed natural habitat, but I love the work.


4 comments:

  1. WOW! So, that is the result of the last 2 tropical systems that were supposed to make it here!

    Curious - in the 1st photo, what is the blueish, coniferous-type tree w/ cinnamon bark...Arizona Cypress?

    By the way, nice Texas Madrone in the center...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. That tree you're asking about is an Alligator Juniper. I liked it so well I planted 3 more but they're still tiny. I think that first one grew so big because it must be getting more water. Either there's leakage from the pond (though there doesn't seem to be) or being so close to a cottonwood tree that gets heavily watered... There's an AZ Cypress on that 4th photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...that is growing well. Alligator Juniper does grow fast with deep watering, but that one is so blue! Thanks for the plant IDs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From here in Fredericksburg..
    It looks Super!
    All thing that fly,walk, creep or slither say Thanks.

    ReplyDelete