Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Alpine Chihuahuan Ravens

Today was quite windy so I mostly stayed indoors. I was surprised to see three ravens* perched on the utility wires behind the house. I don't remember ever seeing three together like that before, so even though I had sent my 400mm lens in for repair, I took photos of them with my 300mm lens. If there was any doubt as to their identity, the last photo dispels that, with the white neck skin clearly showing through during a gust of wind.





* I knew a group of crows was called a murder of crows, but I was surprise to learn that a group of ravens is called an unkindness of ravens.

4 comments:

  1. Great photos!
    It's a shame they're called an 'unkindness' since they're just intelligent and only mildly sinister looking. Lovely creatures! We had ~10 Common Ravens fly over the yard this evening, guess they're starting to group up for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heidi. I saw a program on PBS on the intelligence of crows and it was totally amazing. I imagine ravens are similarly intelligent too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Corvids are amazing! Thanks for the photos. The wind has been brutal the last couple of days. Nice respite today.
    Now if a "parliament" of owls flies overhead, or even better a "fling" of oxbirds, then we know the end-times are near.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots! Like you, I've rarely seen ravens, of any kind, so closely together.

    ReplyDelete