Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, January 28, 2011

Elf Owl nest cavities

Since the electric company changed out all the poles, I'm really worried about the cavity nesters, especially Elf Owls. I fear there won't be enough when the ELOWs arrive in a few short weeks. And I feel horrible that we installed an old cut-off pole in a retainer wall without taking the time and trouble to cut off the section containing a nest cavity. My husband didn't really grasp the importance and I let it go when I should have demanded we stop the project and salvage the nest. But it's done, so to make up for it we spent most of the morning building a replacement nest box. We took a section of new pole (discarded by the power co.), split it, hollowed a nest in it, then glued and bolted it back together. Ready to install on one of the old poles they obligingly cut off and left for me.



I'm sure this nest box will get used this year. I'm eager to see which species gets it. Years ago I mounted a salvaged nest hole on a pipe and it's been used every year since by Elf Owls. My prediction is that Ash-throated Flycatchers will be the first to claim this one. I'll let you know.

And lest you think I'm exaggerating about the habitat destruction, here's a photo I took yesterday of the power line right-of-way. So sad.


2 comments:

  1. Nice box! Looks quite welcoming =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I put some sawdust in the bottom. It smells horribly of creosote since it's from a new pole, but I researched LBWOs and they favor making nests in creosoted poles. No idea why.

    ReplyDelete