Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, August 29, 2011

Making the best of it

I do enjoy my oasis, and if I can enjoy it in the worst of times, that's good. And think of the millions of people worse off. For them, no rain can mean crop failure and starvation. Even if they had the money to buy water, there's no water for them to buy. And I do enjoy not having snakes, grass, weeds, or mosquitoes. This whole experience is educational. (I'm trying to be upbeat about it.)

I wasn't able to locate a dragonfly that wasn't in flight. Too fast to photograph. Saw an Orchard Oriole that seemed to be picking the flies off a feeder, but couldn't be sure. Maybe he was trying to get to the sugar water.


In the last 2 days I hauled about 3,000 gallons of water and watered everything. It's easier to be cheerful when things are watered and I'm not sick.  Soon it'll cool off and I won't have to water as much.

Tomorrow I'm going to Alpine, as we'll be banding in the Davis Mountains for the next 3 days.

3 comments:

  1. Carolyn, may I say that you are absolutely amazing! The amount of time & effort you put into maintaining your oasis is astounding! I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better. Please be careful out in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the faith, it WILL rain again, the sooner the better. I really enjoyed my two days at your place. It's heaven on earth. I'm itching to make the trip again... soon.

    I made a trip to Corpus Christi / Rockport /Fulton last week... plenty of rain.

    Wishing you all the best ( AND Rain )

    Bob Hamill
    Round Rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind words Laura and Bob.

    ReplyDelete