Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, November 4, 2011

Bay-breasted Warbler revisited

I wanted a better photo of the Bay-breasted Warbler in Marathon and I feel like I got it. Still higher in the canopy than I would have liked but I'm not going to try again.


I was hoping it would go into this Mexican Elder tree where it wouldn't be so high in a tree, but no luck.


Here's the tree it was in... a large elm.


There's a shorter Mexican Elder tree to the right and in front of the elm that the warbler divested of many berries.


And a nice fountain by the other elder tree.


The gardens at the Gage Hotel are wonderful, but street noise and people activity spoil the ambience, in my opinion.



5 comments:

  1. You hit the main drag in Marathon at a busy time ;-) Have you checked the gardens? They're across the tracks and a bit east on the first road - definitely much quieter and less shopping/tourist traffic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know the Gage had gardens across the tracks. I can't wait to check them out. Don't know how I missed knowing about them. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 26 acres. The Gage Gardens are just south of the tracks then go immediately left/east.

    Some good photos of the warbler, Carolyn!

    Gage is in nascent stages of additional efforts to attract more birders to the area. Atleast hold on to them a little longer. Intercepting them before and after BBNP.

    You can knock out alot of birds in north Brewster Co. before you trek off to Colima Trail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt, you and Heidi have definitely put Marathon on the birding trail's list of must see places. Rarities have shown up there in the past, too. I saw my first Lawrence's Goldfinch at the Post there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BBWA not seen yesterday, but I did see it this afternoon as you likely saw on TX-Birds.

    That top photo of the bird is great, Carolyn! That photo is a keeper.

    The bird is growing up a little bit on us. That darkening on the sides, the side of the breast, is really showing up through the bins now. As it shows nicely, through your photograph.

    ReplyDelete