Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, May 17, 2021

BEAR

On May 13 the bear tore down the feeder, broke a limb on a Chinkapin Oak, tore out the screen on the potty shed, and most damaging of all, tore holes in the liner for the upcoming new water feature. Lee repaired the feeder and rehung it. I bolted the chain down so the feeder wouldn't lower.

On May 14 the bear again tore down the feeder and broke the horizontal pipe holding the feeder. Lee replaced the pipe with a new one. A lot of work.

On May 15 I left the feeder empty on the ground. No damage, although the bear had taken the cone out of the feeder and minor stuff.

On May 16 I left the feeder empty on the ground. No damage.

On May 17 I woke up, looked out the window, and there was the bear at my door.


Blurry cell phone pics



Maybe he left since there's nothing for him to eat at the oasis. I rehung the feeder just half full so if he tears it down there'll be plenty for the birds but not enough to fill the bear. I also unbolted the chain. I'd rather have the feeder torn down than the pipe broke as well as the feeder torn down.

I spent the morning watering the trees that I hadn't gotten time to water yesterday. As I watered, I watched birds. There are a lot of fledglings around, including the two hummingbirds. 


This Ash-throated Flycatcher is building a nest. Maybe a second one.


Before coming to town, I greased the pole with wheel axle grease, and put out the unwelcome mat. Will have to see what happens next. At least the pole itself is bear-proof. I scattered lots of seed around the outside of the mat so the birds will have plenty for a few days. And if the bucket gets pulled down, it'll spill half a bucket on the ground for birds. If it doesn't get pulled down, there'll be enough in it for a few days when I'll go back and reassess things.



I'm just glad he's leaving the hummingbird feeders alone.

2 comments:

  1. I’m so sorry for the destruction. It must be so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was at the time, but I'm over it now. I think the bear moved on when I stopped filling the feeder.

      Delete