Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Did all I could

Finished the watering and applied nearly a gallon of Dryloc to cracks in the stucco tank. I had planned to do a whole gallon but gave out before then. However, it's not doable to coat all the hairline cracks and if I did, they'd just crack again from heat and expansion. So if the cracks weren't leaking, it'll be fine and if they were, they'll now be leaking less, hopefully. I feel pretty confident that the tank will leak very little this year. The cracks were there a couple of years ago when it didn't leak. I'm sure there are currently no places that would leak, but a leak could develop. If there's just a pinhole leak and water gets under the tank floor or walls, then it can erode things from the outside, which is what I'm sure is the main source of leaks that develop. But I've done what I can. Thank goodness I have that new above ground tank (thanks to generous birders) or the oasis wouldn't be nearly the oasis it is now. 


I'd still have Lucifers though. I love them. Here are a couple of recent pictures I snapped. So gorgeous this time of year!


Buffy female

I love the male's tail on this shot


Fall and winter of 2020-2021 was a La Niña, which may be part of why birding was so bad. Now we're in another La Niña, but later this summer we should come out of it and get more rain.

"Forecasters point out that this is actually the second La Niña winter in a row, a not-uncommon phenomenon that they call a "double-dip." The most recent period lasted from August 2020 to April 2021."


No comments:

Post a Comment