Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, September 8, 2024

Another lesson learned

Nearly two years ago I built my delightful water feature in Alpine. Here's how it looked in March of last year. Birds loved it.



But I've since learned there can be too much of a good thing. I focused on growing cover nearby for the birds to feel safe when coming in for water. It never occurred to me that the cover I was creating was too close. Snakes or cats could be lurking in the vegetation. Bird visits slowed considerably.




So now, since I can't convert lawn into cover (the husband police at work here), it's best I just clear out the flower bed (mostly Turk's Caps) that I planted behind it, and let the birds use the grape arbor above for their cover. 


Not much interesting migration activity yet. Probably not cold enough to the north yet. Still no summer rain at the oasis. I'm hanging in there. That's all I can do.


No comments:

Post a Comment