Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Anna's Hummingbird

After I finished the previous post I drove down to my oasis for one last look. It was around 7 PM. I heard a hummingbird chip note that sounded suspiciously like an Anna's Hummingbird. Sure enough, in a minute I spotted this adult female. The Black-chinned males were harassing her mercilessly, but she seemed to be getting her share of sugar water in spite of them.




It was a real treat to see an Anna's this time of year. I wanted to capture her gorget color but this was the best I could do. Even using flash didn't help. 




2 comments:

  1. Kudos on the great pictures! Even without her visible "gorgeousness", what a little beauty... and feisty as well.

    You and your viewers might like to check out NameThatHummingbird.com

    Thanks for the great pictures... and a terrific site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Susan, and thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete