Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Blue-throated Hummingbird

This is the first time I've ever posted twice in the same day but I figured the BLUH that arrived in my courtyard at around 4 PM (after my first post) warranted a separate posting. Initially, he seemed to be exhausted. The temperature was the hottest so far this year--- over 100°. After he had remained for 2 hours, I called my sister to come see him. The BLUH is the largest US hummer. She drove the mile from her place to see this young male hummer, and I couldn't find him anywhere. I figured he had recovered and left. After my sister left, I went to my oasis to turn off the pump on my water feature, and there the hummer was, bigger than life.... well, bigger than the other hummers anyway. He was energetically defending four feeders. I called my sister and she returned to enjoy the antics with me until nearly dark. I had briefly seen a BLUH years ago at my oasis, but this is the first documented one.


To get an idea of how big he is, check out his size compared to the feeders.



4 comments:

  1. since things are so dry this year you might be the only "game" ....food and water...in town.
    more new visitors might be on their way

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're right. I welcome visitors, avian and otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing your land with those of us who haven't come down in person yet. It is incredible to see the diversity of visitors you have! They must be thrilled to find the gem in desert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, everyone loves the place. It always amazes me when they say things like it was the highlight of their trip to the Big Bend. I guess I take it too much for granted. But I do know it's too wonderful not to share. I love sharing it as much as I enjoy having it.

    ReplyDelete