Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, April 6, 2012

Birds and blooms

Getting that time of year. Quite a few migrants moving through but don't stick around long. Maybe with all the insects they'd get too fat to ever move on if they hung around longer. A nice thunderhead today and chance of rain this Easter weekend. Any chance is better than none.... in theory.


Hauled a record 5 loads of water from the lodge today, totally nearly 2000 gallons. You can't say I'm not determined. I once heard the best way to do time in prison is just get through one day at a time, not do the whole sentence every day, or something to that effect. So I'm just concentrating on doing the best I can in the day at hand, and don't let myself think beyond that.

I saw some interesting warblers and expected to photograph them after watering, before dark, but they had left already. One was a Northern Parula, and the other I think was a Townsend's, but I didn't see enough of the latter to be sure. Here's a Lark Sparrow that I could only photograph from a distance, so not great quality, but I think they're such a neat bird.


As I write this I hear the Elf Owls calling outside. Maybe in the morning I'll get to photograph some warblers.

Nearly everything in the courtyard is blooming. I'll take more pictures tomorrow, but here is a Goldenball Leadtree. To the left of it is a Fantex Ash. Its foliage is patchy, but what's there looks healthy.


The Mexican Elder tree at the oasis looks great.


No comments:

Post a Comment