Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Migration in full swing

I haven't had any big fallouts but numbers are up today. Here's a very uncooperative Nashville Warbler. But that's OK. He's hungry and needs to replenish his stores for the rest of his journey. That has priority over photos.


Here is a Western Kingbird that stopped by for a visit.


In all, I saw over 43 species today, but in a normal year, with mulberries and water in the tanks, that number should be around 60 during this time of year.

Did you ever wonder what a displaying Lucifer Hummingbird looks like from the rear? I didn't think so, but I'll show you anyway.


Since I water the mulberry tree a lot, wise flowers choose to bloom beneath it. Here are a few Mistflower (eupatorium greggii) blooms.


And some Harvard Penstemmons nearby.


Later, this afternoon, more birds arrived bringing the day's total up to 49 per my ebird report. Here is a Western Wood-Pewee having a bad hair day in the wind.


The cholla looked even lovelier today.



2 comments: