Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Surprise lifer

After I finished watering and was walking out the door to leave for Alpine, the phone rang. It was Heidi Trudell from Marathon. Her husband Matt (York) had found a Swainson's Warbler at the Gage Gardens in Marathon. So I rushed to Alpine and called Heidi. It was still there, in fact, she was looking at it. (Aren't cell phones great!) I told her I'd be there in 30 minutes. Bless her heart, she didn't let the bird out of her sight until I got there. They pointed me right to it. Doesn't get easier, or better, than that.


Here it is eating something, worms, I guess.



Whatever it's finding, it can't seem to get enough. Until today I didn't know they forage on the ground in leaf litter. Curiously, it's body seemed to vibrate while it was foraging. Unfortunately, it stayed in the shade all the while I was there, so my photos are a little drab.


Back at the oasis, my new trailer works like a charm. Hopefully, the days of breakdowns are over.


And my new cholla patch is putting on new growth. I'm pretty excited about it because it doesn't need much water and in a few years it might attract a Lucifer Hummingbird to nest there. If that happens my oasis will have "arrived," in my estimation.



1 comment:

  1. What a great bird, Carolyn. I was fortunate enough to be there. After all, it is mostly up to the bird. Well, it was never found the following day. Unfortunately, due to folks wanting to see it. That's migration. Glad the three of us could share the bird that afternoon/evening.

    ReplyDelete