Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Every day is different

Today seemed a bit more different than other days. I arrived at my oasis from Alpine early AM to find a dead skunk in the middle of it. I dragged it away hoping the smell would dissipate quickly. It didn't. And I didn't consciously leave the carcass below this cut-off utility pole. The Turkey Vultures probably smell worse today than they normally do.


 And hopefully, no Elf Owls are nesting inside this pole. Actually, I don't think the owls are nesting yet. I see plenty of them all over, but no nesting activity. Today I accidentally flushed an Elf Owl from its daytime perch, something that I don't recall ever doing before. They usually hide well and don't flush.

When birders arrived we got down to some serious birding. Ended up with 56 species, but I always know there are quite a few more than are located.

After everyone left I was filling hummingbird feeders and probably left the screen door unlatched to the little cabin where I keep the feeders. Then the wind probably blew it open and a Wilson's Warbler got trapped inside. That's the first time that ever happened. I propped the door open and chased it right out with less trauma to it than if it had been trapped in a bander's net, but still, not pleasant for either of us.

All visitors today carried serious cameras and we got some nice shots, I think. Here are a few of mine.

Nashville Warbler


 The above is a Swainson's Thrush that Mark Lockwood discovered soon after he arrived. I'd like to think I would have discovered it myself, but realistically I probably would have called it a Hermit.

Female Bullock's Oriole


That's a hard act to follow so I think I'll leave it at that for today. Tomorrow promises to be another exciting day.

No comments:

Post a Comment