Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Unusual hummingbird year

Lucifer Hummingbirds are popping up at feeders in many out-of-the-ordinary places, presumably due to this record drought depriving them of natural nectar sources in their normal range.

White-eareds, which you would think would be in the same situation, are scarcely being reported anywhere. On May 8th (see post for that day) I had a Blue-throated at my feeders for a few hours, and now Bonnie Wunderlich (near Terlingua) has one at her feeders. I went over yesterday to photograph it, but I didn't have much time and it didn't show up while I was there. However, she saw it again today. Tomorrow we're hoping to photograph it, and maybe help Kelly Bryan (a licensed bander) capture and band it. To be updated...

While I was watching for it I saw a strange looking Lucifer Hummingbird that we also hope to capture tomorrow. It appears to be a hybrid. Measurements will help determine of what.


So even though I didn't see the BLUH, it wasn't a wasted trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment