Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, December 26, 2011

Pre-digital photos

I'm at the oasis. Got here before daylight, at 10°, took down the frozen hummingbird feeders, and put up warm ones.Was pleased to see about 6 hummers (Rufous and Anna's) today. It was so cold all day that I mostly stayed indoors and scanned some of my favorite old film bird photos.

After Christmas of 2003 in Alpine we left our Christmas lights up and the following spring a Black-chinned Hummingbird decided to nest on them. That was really cool!


In 2006, off and on, all through the month of May, the oasis had its only ever Broad-billed Hummingbird.


Here's a just-fledged, or soon to fledge, Elf Owl that apparently got pursued by my ex-neighbors' cats and got into their house. They called me and I caught it and released it at my oasis. This photo was taken in their house in 2001 inside a home-made wreath the bird managed to retreat up into.


Christmas lights, a green and red hummingbird, and wreath are the last of Christmas cheer you'll get from me this year.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your photos and story. That little Elf Owl is a real cutie. :-)

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed them. Wish I had been digital and blogging then, but better late than never.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its great photography but somewhere its missing the clarity and I can say it can be of better quality. Don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is poorer quality than digital. I was thinking about digging up the negatives and seeing if scanning those would make it better.

    ReplyDelete