Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Enthusiasm rising

After servicing me feeders at CMO and already in the car ready to head to town I spied a dragonfly perched on a nearby bare bush. My first real one for the year, so I was very excited. I assumed it would be a Variegated Meadowhawk and was surprised it turned out to be a Red Saddlebags. That's the most I've ever enjoyed that species.


I heard a peregrine call yesterday and told my sister. She said, "YAY, spring has arrived." But to me it won't be spring until the Lucifer Hummingbirds arrive. Any day now, and I'm ready for them. Just so I won't miss the moment, I put up my critter cam.


That is not a giant mantis under the feeder. I was worried wind would trigger the camera to take unwanted photos so I tied some heavy bolts to the bottom of the feeder. Just until I get the first Lucifer, then I'll remove them. 

2 comments:

  1. You know the Mraying Mantis will catch and eat the Hummingbirds?
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, whenever I see a Praying Mantis on a feeder I remove it.

    ReplyDelete