Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, March 22, 2021

Horrible windstorm

With previous record heat, record cold, record drought, it wouldn't surprise me if this turns out to be record wind. I came to the oasis yesterday to sleep in my new bedroom for the first time last night, other than when I lived in the guesthouse for two years while building my house. So it's very nostalgic for me.



The hardest part for me to get used to is the tiny windowless kitchen, but I love being able to see the oasis and sunrise from the guesthouse windows.


Today's wind was forecast so I rushed around getting some concrete work done this morning at the oasis before it hit. It wasn't a big job but at my age it was huge. By noon I was totally exhausted and could barely move. As I got to the guesthouse a fierce cyclonic wind shattered the stillness. Normally winds come on gradually; not this one. Hadn't been inside five minutes when I looked out the door to see half the shed roof blowing straight up in the air. 

I should have taken a photo but in my panic I got my screw gun and ladder and got on the roof to screw it down before the whole thing went. My late husband and I had covered it in some heavy rubber conveyor belting. It's too heavy for me to even lift a portion of it so with half of it waving in the wind I figured in short time the weight would rip off the whole thing. Got it screwed down but my son probably needs to do some more work on it when he can. His list is very long.

I've been without electricity all afternoon too, so I'm at my sister's house. Fortunately, hers is still on. There's a line down at my place. The electric company is out working in the whole area.


I would have gone to town but I have help coming tomorrow and don't want to mess that up.


No comments:

Post a Comment