Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Not to worry!

 I started watering the trees shortly after daylight, did a bunch more pruning, then right after lunch headed to town without seeing a male Lucifer. Wouldn't you know, not long after I left, this gorgeous male showed up. They're always so pristinely fresh and lovely when they first arrive. At least I get to enjoy Mike's superb photo of it.




It wasn't that I was worried there wouldn't be any males showing up. I know that the early March migration of Lucifers is followed by a later surge when things start to bloom. I think that's in late April or early May. Kelly Bryan discovered that as a result of his eight years spent banding them at the oasis. His hummingbird banding work is in the process of being published. I really look forward to seeing it.

Friday we're scheduled to get the roof installed on the new viewing blind. That's going to be exciting. Of course, I'll take lots of photos and share them here.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful. Hope to get there. Just read Eli J. Knapp's chapter in: When birds are near...

    ReplyDelete