Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Cold to the core

Went to the oasis yesterday afternoon and got so bone chilled that by 6:30 PM I turned my electric blanket on high and went to bed. Even then it took me two hours to feel comfortably warm. I have an electric space heater in my cabin but once these rock walls get cooled down, it takes forever to warm them up.


This morning it was 19,° so I bundled up. Before I could get chilled the sun warmed me up and I was soon out of my down jacket with no problem. I just can't subject myself to the amount of cold I did when I was younger. After watering the trees I came to town. Tired but I'm sure I'll be fine in the morning. 


Had a Green-winged Teal in the big tank this morning but it departed when I got down into the tank to hook up my pump. For me, spring is less than three weeks away and I cannot wait.



While watering, I noticed that the Mexican Pinyons are putting on new candles, but the Papershell Pinyons aren't. I don't know if that's because the former are more suitable for my habitat or it's just a matter of different species do it at different times or under different circumstances. They both seem healthy though.


Mexican Pinyon

Papershell Pinyon 



No comments:

Post a Comment