Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Exciting projects in progress

Ever since the new viewing blind was completed I was aware that people sitting in the back row of the blind couldn't see the birds at the water feature and feeding on the ground under the seed feeder. It bothered me a lot. So I designed a raised bench to install back there. Left over funds from the grant money paid for the material. My son spent all day (over 12 hours) cutting, welding, and such. It's going to be so awesome! We couldn't have afforded to hire the work done. All oasis-loving volunteer labor! (It'll be fastened to the blind supports, so no way will it be able to tip over.)




Right now our biggest challenge is to get it down to the oasis. It's so heavy, one man can't lift one end of it.  After we get it in place, then we'll put a wood seat and wood step on it. I'm super excited to get this added to the viewing space.



Soon now we're going to whittle down the worst boulders in the road. And then we're going to clean out the rest of the silt from the stucco tank and I'll finish sealing it. Hoping for a wonderful spring migration. Lucifer Hummingbirds are two weeks away!


5 comments:

  1. Wonderful that you have such great help with the Oasis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The help I do have is great! Just need more of it, due to my declining age. But I'm hanging in there as best I can. When the weather gets warmer and more birds start showing up, that should give me a boost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice!! Great addition to the blind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see the new and improved oasis at the end of April. Was last there in 2018. You and your son have done so much to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son and I have done a lot, but lots of volunteer help made the new viewing area and water feature possible. Credit goes to Mike Gray, Cecilia Riley, Deirdra and others.

    ReplyDelete