Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, September 24, 2023

Fun oasis watering day

I do believe more migrants drop by the oasis when I'm running a sprinkler and a couple of hoses. Friday, I tallied 53 species for the day and I'm sure I missed a bunch. They don't stay long and I'm busy moving hoses, etc. But it spoils me. Then when I water without seeing birds, especially in winter, it's a drag. All worth it though!


Young Bullock's Oriole

Birders have been wanting oasis T-shirts, so I got another batch in. Can be purchased when visiting, if I'm there at the time. Probably not going to order more, but I thought since Dennis Shepler designed them and he passed away not long ago, it'd be a nice tribute to him.



Here's a cool photo that Mike Gray took yesterday of a new yard bird for his place in the Fort Davis area. Sure wish I could take photos like that, but I know my limitations. Not to mention, I can't spend the gazillion dollars on equipment that he does. Such complicated equipment too. 


Cape May Warbler.

I was thrilled to get a Cape May Warbler at the oasis this spring. Fall migration has been good too. Lots of Dickcissels, which is unusual. No summer monsoon at the oasis. Maybe we'll get a fall monsoon. It could happen.


2 comments:

  1. I do hope the rains come soon. A Cpe May that far West is a fantastic bird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the rains come soon for all of Texas. A Cape May is a fantastic find that far West!

    ReplyDelete