Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, January 1, 2024

Exciting new oasis flower species

My indefatigable sister and niece constantly seek out blooms on our properties. New Year's Eve this energetic and knowledgeable niece discovered a  Spearleaf (Matelea parvifolia) blooming. Who would have thought it would bloom so late in the year!



Also, a hummingbird expert, Sheri Williamson, suggested that the possible hybrid Costa's that's been at the oasis for at least six weeks might be an offspring of a hybrid. Quote:


"Though I don't put much stock in wing/tail ratios, her pale cheeks, thinnish bill, and slightly more concave lower gorget margin all look "off" for a 100% Anna's. Comparing her greater secondary coverts to photos of Anna's, Costa's, and hybrids, they're subtly narrower and more rounded but still closer in shape to Anna's, possibly indicating that her parents were a hybrid and an Anna's."


Fascinating stuff. I wish they would take DNA from it before it's too late. Here's my photo of it taken on Dec. 23rd.



Today, I saw it again and this time clearly saw a bright red throat patch. 


Also today I walked with the girls to see the Spearleaf. It's a teensy plant with microscopic blooms. It's incredible that my niece even spotted it.




1 comment:

  1. The hummingbird, flower and women are all beautiful and interesting. I am always facinated by how tiny some really beautiful plants are.

    ReplyDelete