Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, December 29, 2023

2023 in review

This January was not as bleak as most Januarys. The bright spots were that the Covid I got was mild, and birding was the best January ever. I visited the over-wintering Lewis's Woodpecker at Kokernot Park frequently, and sometimes helped other birders locate it.



Having my new water feature in Alpine was a huge help too. It was very popular with birds. And it was great having my son build a new bear-proof feeder for the oasis. Gave me so much to look forward to.



February went by pretty fast. Spent time caring for my husband, who had hernia surgery. Birding was still good around the area. Highlights for me were Red Crossbills and Cassin's Finches at my new Alpine bird bath.



Everything was blooming and leafing out earlier than usual in March. But, per usual, was zapped by freezes. It seemed the wintering birds hung around longer, including the crossbills and finches, which were still visiting the birdbath into April.

In early April a bear visited the oasis, but thankfully not too much damage. Chewing up about $100 worth of new hoses that I had to replace, and apparently accessing seed in the new bear-proof feeder, was about it. I now keep my hoses put up in a bear-proof building when not using them. We've no choice but to learn to live with bears.


Late April was insane with birds and birders. The best bird was a Cape May Warbler. At the time I photographed it, I assumed it was a Yellow-rumped. Didn't figure it out until I downloaded the pictures onto my computer.


The most hectic day was April 27th, when I had three large groups visit. I had scheduled the morning group, and way previously, I had told a local guide that brings groups to the oasis that afternoons were always open. So that morning, when a new group wanted to come by in the afternoon at the last minute, which almost never happens, I didn't see anything on my calendar and told them to come. At the same time they came, the local tour guide showed up with a group. No one's fault, other than mine. And no harm done, but I like visitors to have a good remote area experience when they visit. As it was, the groups rotated between the viewing areas, taking turns watching for the Cape May Warbler at the back water drip. That was better than not having a chance to visit the oasis at all, of course. It helps that birders are always so fun and upbeat! And they all got to see the warbler eventually. But while they all took it in good stride, it stood out as the most stressful day of migration for me. 


By the time of the Big Sit on April 28th, the prized warbler was gone. We still got more species for a Big Sit than we had ever before. We won with 58 species, which was twice what the competing teams had!


Spring migration is always a two week affair, the last week of April and the first week of May. As May got underway, things leveled off, and birding wasn't as good. The best bird that first week was a Blue-winged Warbler. I never did get decent photos of it, as it was just present for a few minute, but here's one a lucky birder snapped.

Photo by Matt Radford

We got an early monsoon in late May that filled the tanks. I probably weakened my immune system by rushing around pumping, pruning, and getting the oasis back under control. At any rate, I came down with some kind of viral infection. My main symptoms were a bad sore throat and cough. 

A week into June, I managed to get a life bird in the Davis Mountains, the aptly named Thick-billed Kingbird. That was fun! Even though I had taken every precaution, the virus resurfaced, but wasn't as bad as the first bout. Soon I was back to normal.


That same day, a bear tried to get to the hanging feeder at the oasis. It appears he spent a couple of hours attempting to figure it out.


While May was cool and rainy (over 3 inches for the month), most of June was exceptionally hot and rainless, setting new heat records worldwide.

Also in June, I developed serious dental issues. Had to have three implants removed, depriving me of the ability to chew for the rest of the year and into the next. The bone needed to heal before new implants could be put in, and then the new implants need to heal before being made functional. I'm told the original implants weren't done properly and it was nothing I did wrong. Small consolation, however, not to mention very expensive and painful!


The record heat continued into July. With water still in the ponds, some nice dragonflies showed up, including this new oasis species, Flag-tailed Spinyleg.


And the daily triple-digit heat brought Crissal Thrashers to the water drip for the first time ever. That was lovely!


By the time August arrived, we had endured two months of record heat and barely a trace of rainfall. Yet, thanks to those May rains, I was able to keep the oasis watered and healthy looking. Three weeks into August we got a welcome soaking rain, but no runoff into the tanks.

September led into fall, without the oasis getting a single summer monsoon. Triple digit heat nearly every day. Birding was good since there was water at the oasis, and berries, still thanks to that rain in late May.

Warbling Vireo at Chinese Pistachio berries

Photo courtesy Judy Sims

October eased in with very little abating of the oppressive heat. On the first, my son discovered fresh bear tracks, but no damage. I'm sure the bear gorged on persimmon fruit. The acorns were still green. 


A couple of days later, I loved having a White-eyed Vireo and Hermit Warbler drop by for a drink.



Late in the month we got another soaking rain, still no runoff. By then, temperatures had cooled down. Then, two days later, another mini-monsoon provided some needed runoff. I was able to pump enough into the tanks to ensure the oasis will be fine until next year's rainy season. A big relief!


Around then, I had the new dental implants installed, with slightly less pain, but still excruciating. If all goes as planned, I'll have teeth sometime in February. Meanwhile, still a diet of pureed food.

After a third early November attempt  (the last two with Mike and Cecilia) I finally got the pair of Nutting's Flycatchers that were hanging around Big Bend National Park's Santa Elena Canyon area. Of course my photos are never as good as I'd like them to be, but I was satisfied.


Also in early November, I had a close encounter with a bear at the oasis. He turned a ten-foot oak tree into a three-foot tree, but probably a tree I shouldn't have anyway.


November weather was lovely, with a few nice soaking rains. I took advantage by birding as much as possible. While no lifers, I got some new species for my Presidio and Jeff Davis county lists. The more lifers one has, the harder it is to get new ones. But I enjoyed getting some of the less common species for our area. Most unexpected was a Williamson's Sapsucker in Presidio County. A male Lucifer was still residing at the oasis on November 26th, which was a first.


December weather was nice for the most part, but birding was rather slow at my normal birding places, so I ventured farther afield. For the first time in two years, I birded Lake Balmorhea, and got my first photos of Red-throated and Pacific Loons, plus discovered a Black-legged Kittiwake and Surf Scoter.



The oasis still looked fairly green, especially the dragonfly pond. Some kind of weed sprouted in it.


A surprise American Woodcock showed up in a yard near downtown Alpine.


My talented son had to make cages for the wifi extenders to keep the woodpeckers from destroying them. I learned that the expensive way.

.
Health-wise, I'm grateful for the progress I made in 2023. Even though I went through dental torture, I have most of that behind me and should soon be in better dental shape. I got cured of Hep C and got over a broken navicular bone in my foot. For many months I had feared I'd be limping painfully for the rest of my life, after doctors told me it was osteoarthritis, and nothing broken showed up on x-rays. Some other minor issues are not getting worse (such as tinnitus, essential tremors, etc.) And, of course, the Covid I had in January was mild. So can't complain for an 83-year-old.

I'm thankful for all the great times I had in 2023 and anticipate many awesome adventures in 2024 (besides enjoying having wifi at the oasis)... teeth, great birds that are sure to visit, family, birders/friends, and much more! So Happy New Year to us all!

13 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos, and a wonderful accounting! Happy New Year, Carolyn l!…Gail Yovanovich.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the great birding opportunities - and great birds - at the CMO this year, Carolyn. Happy New Year, and looking forward to 2024! ~Matt Walter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, Carolyn. May it bring good health, good birds and good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed the review and pics, you’ve done great work this year despite the health challenges. Happy New Year Carolyn, may it be a hale & hearty one. And much appreciation to your son for his stellar work at the CMO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your posts. Hope 2024 has less health issues for all of us. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, again, Carolyn for putting me on the Lewis's Woodpecker last January!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad to be living in and loving Alpine - your year in review is wonderful ( and am hoping your dental issues are behind you soon). Looking forward to an adventure with you in 2024! Maggi Gunnels

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carolyn...you are a one of a kind treasure! Thank you for sharing your beautiful Oasis with us, and letting us go with you on your other adventures. Sending good Karma to you for a healthy and happy 2024! Warmest Regards, Tom McC, McQueeney, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you each and every one! Love you all! You're what keeps my passion alive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome year! thanks for recap
    have a great new year and happy eating !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy new year! You certainly lead an interesting and active life. You certainly are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your stories with us. -Enrique Garcia, San Antonio, Austin, Rockport. (I can't stay in one place.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review of an awesome year.

    ReplyDelete