Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, December 23, 2023

Costa's or Anna's?

Since at least November 16th there's been a hummingbird at the oasis that at least one birder submitted as a Costa's. I personally haven't seen anything I'd consider a Costa's, but have been vigilant about photographing any candidates that I see. Today I again did my best. I'm thinking it's a hybrid between the two species, so did a little research to see if they're even known to hybridize. Here's what I found. 


During the past few years studies of suburban populations of hummingbirds in southern California have revealed a new hybrid combination. Eleven individuals have been located that seem to represent hybrids between Calypte anna (Anna's Hummingbird) and Calypte costae (Costa's Hummingbird).


So what do you think? These photos are from today.




I've been photographing what I think is this bird since Nov 16. It was submitted to ebird as a Costa's on Nov 29 by a visiting birder. Kelly Bryan confirmed it as a Costa's based on this photo.



In person, the bird seems too large, and the tail too long to be a Costa's. I'm almost positive I saw a tinge of red on the gorget. However, the tail is definitely shorter than the wings, although in my opinion, the tail isn't as short as a Costa's. The experts will sort it out, but I'm convinced it's an Anna's, as much as I'd love it to be a Costa's. A hybrid would be awesome though! 

Or is the bird of Nov 29 a totally different bird?

It's two days before Christmas and my sister and niece are still finding awesome flowers blooming. Here's one they found today and ID'd as a Silver Dwarf Morning-Glory (Evolvulus sericeus). Not confirmed yet, but a new one for our properties if it is.


Just another day in paradise!


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful flower! Here in Austin we’ve got Lion’s Tail that has just busted out in bloom again, and other plants that are still flowering long past when they’re typically spent & dormant. A weird start to winter for sure.

    ReplyDelete