Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, December 10, 2023

Elusive Costa's Hummingbird

On November 29th Pat Dwyer photographed a Costa's Hummingbird at the oasis. As soon as I learned of it, I rushed down to try and relocate it. No luck, so tried again a week later. No luck. Figured it was just a one stop wonder. 


Then yesterday Jane Tillman and her husband photographed it. So today I rushed down early this morning and spent 8 hours glued to the bush they both saw it in. Eventually, it dawned on me that if it was trying to come in, the aggressive juvenile male Rufous wasn't going to let it. Since it was policing all the feeders, the solution was to put a new feeder out of sight of the feeder area. I wasted no time in hanging one by the back water drip. I've had to do that before, but it's been quite a while. By then it was time for me to leave, so I don't know the results. Either someone else will benefit, or it won't make a difference, or maybe next time I'm there I can park myself at the outlying feeder and see the Costa's. We'll see. Meanwhile, I took way too many photos of the Rufous.




Also saw a couple of Anna's, but not much else, as all my focus was on the one goal. Pitiful little to show for eight hours, in temperatures way too cold for my comfort. It's some consolation to know that I didn't see it because it didn't come in. Better than hearing later that it came in and I missed it again. I believe it's the 51st Texas record.

Anna's female

Anna's juvenile

Tomorrow I'm going back to Balmorhea to try for a photo of the Red-throated Loon. There are a few other species that have been seen there recently that I'd like to add to my Reeves County list also.

______________________________________________

UPDATE: I think I know why the Costa's has been so elusive. When Jane got back home she processed her photos and concluded her "Costa's" photo was actually an Anna's. I looked at them and agreed. So I guess it was just a one day, or maybe one hour wonder!

3 comments:

  1. Hate that you missed the Costa’s. Good luck with the loon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a happy holiday Carolyn, hopefully a very birdy one!

    ReplyDelete