Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Monarchs everywhere


It's awesome to see the oasis swarming with butterflies, and impossible to get a satisfactory photo of the spectacle.

What with banding almost over, cooler weather, and a month's supply of water in my tank, I feel a big burden lifted. I removed my self-imposed state-of-emergency status that I've felt under for the last several months.

Still lots to do, though. For one thing, I need to start preparing should the drought continue into next summer. And I need to get the pump situation rectified. I'm working on all that. More about it in future posts.


3 comments:

  1. This picture is pretty awesome to the restof us. Once,when I was living in Shrevepor,La, aswarm of Monarchs spent the night on a large loquat bush that was blooming. They pretty much covered it.

    I'm afraid the drought will continue. I just completed my tour of hauling water to keep trees alive. I'm afraid all my work was for nothing since the refuge usually can't attract people to work there in the summers in 100-115 heat indexes. But you'll still be fighting the battle when I'm working up north next spring and summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I was hoping you would get a bunch. If I was a Monarch, I would surely stop at your oasis.

    ReplyDelete