Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My latest invention

I decided to make double-decker hummingbird feeders by hanging one beneath the other.


The advantages are:

1. Hummers are accustomed to foraging at different levels so it's more natural for them.

2. One ant guard protects both feeders.

3. Less blowing, therefore spillage, in high winds, at least for the top feeder.

4. Have more feeding ports in their favored locations.

It's ridiculously easy to make. Just hang a wire from a feeder, then use an "S" shaped wire to hang between the two feeders, or you can buy those S hooks. I made mine from a small section of a wire coat hanger.

Below is a young male Rufous Hummingbird. I saw at least 3 today here in Alpine.



3 comments:

  1. Wish I had thought of that a couple of weeks ago when I had a bazillion hummers fussing over one feeder even though I had several others scattered around the yard.
    Thanks, Robert Mace, Lockhart

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the very same thing myself, but next year will be different. Sometimes new ideas seem so obvious in hindsight we wonder why we didn't think of it ages ago. Let me know how it works for you next year when your hordes return. Preferrably with photos. Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Rufous looks like he's dancing!

    ReplyDelete