Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, October 9, 2011

A few blooms

If one looks around the oasis it's likely they'll locate a flower or two. Fragrant Mimosa grows wild on my property and looks similar to this. This is Velvetpod Mimosa that I planted. I water it occasionally.


This next bush is also native, meaning it grows wild on my property. One of its common names is Yellow Bells (tecoma stans).  I planted this one and seldom water it.


Next is a volunteer Feather Dalea (dalea formosa). I occasionally water it. When I spread the mulch I made sure to protect it in its location along the rock-lined path.


Bee Brush has come up under most all the trees.... anywhere there's moisture. It fills the oasis with a heavenly fragrance.


As you can probably tell, I get lots of pleasure and peace from my oasis. One thing that delighted me today was to see a Spotted Towhee and Hermit Thrush foraging in the newly spread mulch in the "pine forest" area of the oasis.


I doubt if they would have been there if it was blanketed with tall grasses like is normal for this time of year.




 
 
I positioned myself where I could photograph the action. Didn't capture the towhee though. Had to leave for Alpine. I don't like driving after dark, so was just glad that I got to spend what time I did in my favorite pasttime.

2 comments:

  1. Love the wildflower pictures as much as the picture of the birds. We finally got 1 inch of much needed rain here in Central Texas. Thanks. Pat/Central Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad someone got some rain. My kids live in Austin and they were really happy about it. Thanks for the kind words and feedback. It helps me know what people like to see. I'll post more flower photos in the future, assuming anything blooms in this drought.

    ReplyDelete