Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, September 29, 2014

Earned my lifer today

Even though I took another allergy pill before venturing out around Alpine looking for butterflies, it wasn't long before breathing was getting difficult. Weeds everywhere, or at least everywhere butterflies were to be found. I did find a few gorgeous butterflies, including this lifer Painted Crescent. When I downloaded my photos, and discovered it was a lifer, I wanted a better photo, one that didn't have a shadow on it. So after my allergies calmed down, I went back for a retake.


After wading through a plethora of weeds, I finally got this shot, but wanted one with wings spread.


More weeds. And if that wasn't bad enough, I was hobbling, due to the ground being carpeted with goat-heads. My sandals offered little resistance to them.


Finally, when I was about to give up, I got a bead on one. Took some photos and headed home, sneezing like crazy, only to discover the individual I had photographed was damaged. I've done all I can for today though.


Earlier I saw this lovely male Black Swallowtail.

And a pair of Fiery Skippers mating...  among the goat-heads, I believe.


And here's another Vesta Crescent from today, added at Brian's urging. With all the ID help he gives me, he earned it.


Once in a while a person just happens to be in the right place at the right time. Couldn't resist photographing this juvenile male* Black-chinned Hummingbird  when it showed up while I was butterflying beneath it.

____________________________________

* Age and and sex courtesy Kelly Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment