Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Huge rain at CMO

Computer is down at CMO so had to come to town. The rain actually caught me by surprise. So there were dark clouds here and there. Nothing unusual about that. Rain threatens a lot and nothing ever happens. Knowing I had to come to town I couldn't put off filling the hummingbird feeders any longer. I didn't want to do them, then have it rain, and have to redo them, but that's exactly what happened. As I filled feeders I saw a large somewhat dark rain cloud to the west. As I finished the feeders, a few sprinkles fell. For the third time today. No big deal, no lightning, wind, or anything ominous.

Went to the house to wash the feeders I had taken down, and immediately the skies let loose.  Ended up with an inch. Twice what I would have liked. I took a lot of video and that will give you a better sense of it. First I had to get out of the house.


Can't get the rain videos to work right so here are links. Hope that works.




Water only goes over the lower dam when everything else if full. I hope the stucco tank can stand the pressure of being overflowing. Even a few inches over the spillway puts a lot of extra pressure on it.


When I get back down there I'll be able to tell if it sprang any new leaks by how much the level went down. Meanwhile, I'm set for water until next rainy season. Before the rain I took some photos I wanted to post, but I forgot to take them off the computer at CMO. 

I feel like I should say something about a remark I was quoted as saying on the National Public Radio interview that will air any day now. Here is the quote that has hurt or raised eyebrows of some family members: 

I remind her of a blog entry from a couple of months earlier. Writing about the oasis, she confessed that the water has come to mean more to her than anything. “It’s bigger than my grandkids,” she said.  [Carolyn laughs]

Keep in mind my long interview of about 2 hours was cut down to about 2 minutes. The quote, regarding water, was, "It's bigger than my grandkids." I haven't checked the aforementioned blog post, but I think I said something about my life revolving around water. I meant to convey that in order to have the oasis, water has to have priority, take center stage, in my life. And priorities change too. If all your dishes are dirty, washing them becomes priority. If you don't have clean clothes to wear, doing laundry takes priority.

I'm fortunate that my kids are raised, and are doing a wonderful job of raising my grandkids, so that I can focus on the oasis. It's true that I'm not the doting grandmother type, and I hope my actions and words inspire young women to realize that it's OK if you don't want to devote your lives, after raising kids, to being a doting grandmother, and then great-grandmother. I love my family very much and would give my life gladly for every last one of them. More than needing a doting grandmother, they need to become prepared for the real world. In an emergency, I am there, and will always be there. But because they live so far away, I had to choose. I couldn't have both. They've got plenty of helicopter parents doting on them. Now in my golden years, I'm free to pursue my passions. They can call or text me as much as they like. I'll always be here for them if they need me, day or night.

Oh, I forgot the most important part of that quote. "[Carolyn laughs]" It was a joke. 

6 comments:

  1. Procreating is a biological function like eating or using the bathroom, not an act that makes you a better person or the world a better place. There was nothing wrong with your comments and I still don't think you needed to clarify or defend a thing. Not even one percent of the world's population will create something like CMO in their lifetimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If people did not understand the context of that quote, they don't know you or the land. Enough said.

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. And WOW to the rain received! This time when it rained, it certainly poured. Wish I was there to witness it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. NPR was so pleased with their interviews of Kelly and me that I don't want to point out all their errors but there are many. Nothing caused a family rift or anything so I'm OK with it. I do feel better after clarifying that one point though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic on the rain. I would have loved to have been there to see it. Connie and I can't wait to get back down there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing wonderful work and living your passion. Thank you so much for being a wonderful example to the world and to your kids, grandkids and great-grandkids!!

    ReplyDelete